Our centerpiece technologies are highly efficient, multi-application intermediate and institutional scale rocket stoves. InStoves offer a fast, safe, and convenient way to cook while simultaneously protecting human health and the environment. They can also provide safe drinking water, medical sterilization and pressure cooking/canning with drop-in accessories.
Compared to the inefficient - and often dangerous - traditional cooking methods they improve upon, InStoves are:
- 75 to 90 percent fuel savings compared to an open fire.
- 90%-plus reduction in harmful emissions, including carbon monoxide and black carbon. InStoves produce no visible smoke.
- Twice as fast as cooking on an open fire – comparable to LPG.
- Zero Indoor Air Pollution, thanks to an integrated chimney that routes all emissions outside and away from people.
- Safe to the touch. Efficient, insulated design ensures safe surface temperatures to prevent burns.
- Stable. Practically tip-proof to reduce the chance of spills and scalds.
- Fuel flexible. Efficient operation with a variety of biomass fuels in addition to wood, including our sustainable biomass briquettes.
- Durable. InStoves are expected to last for 5 years of daily use with no maintenance – longer with replaceable parts. All stoves come with a 1-year warranty.
- Cost-effective. InStoves can pay for themselves many times over in fuel savings, alone.
- Portable. No permanent installation is required, making InStoves easy to transport.
Click here to learn more about InStove features and performance.
How it Works: Rocket Stove Technology
At the heart of these stoves is an advanced, insulated metal combustion chamber built from high-temperature 310 stainless steel and 601 nickel alloys. The "rocket stove" design concentrates heat and mixes combustion gasses to create operating temperatures in excess of 1100 degrees Celsius, which allows the stoves to literally "burn up the smoke." This produces a fire that is cleaner and more efficient than is possible otherwise. In fact, we believe testing shows our institutional stoves to be unparalleled in performance.
Official, third party test results are available here.
|Time to boil1||25 minutes||45 minutes||60 minutes|
|Wood burned to reach a boil||1.5 lb. (0.7 kg)||3.3 lb. (1.5 kg)||5.5 lb. (2.5 kg)|
|Diameter||18 in. (48 cm)||23 in. (59 cm)||27 in. (67 cm)|
|Stove Body Height (excludes chimney)||23 in. (59 cm)||34.5 in. (88 cm)||34 in. (86 cm)|
|Weight||45 lb. (20 kg)3||115 lb. (52 kg)||139 lb. (63 kg)|
|19 x 19 x 24 in.||40 x 24 x 39 in.||40 x 28 x 39 in.|
|Package Dimensions||(48 x 48 x 61 cm)||(101 x 61 x 98 cm)||(101 x 69 x107 cm)|
|(L x W x H)||(Fits as standard checked luggage on an airliner)|
|Weight||49 lb. (22 kg)||115 lb. (52 kg)||139 lb. (63 kg)|
|Product brochure: 20-Liter Stove||Product brochure: 60/100-Liter Stove||Product brochure: 60/100-Liter Stove|
|New: 20L Stove User's Manual||User's manual: 60/100-Liter Stove||User's manual: 60/100-Liter Stove|
|Demo video coming soon||Instructional video: 60/100-Liter Stove||Instructional video: 60/100-Liter Stove|
Prices and Ordering
|$445 (with Aluminum pot)||$850||$995|
$475 (with Stainless Steel pot)
|(with Aluminum pot)||(with Aluminum pot)|
|Pressure Cooker/Canner||Yes: All-American models 915, 921, 925, and 930||Yes: All-American model 941||No|
|(Reaches 15 psi in 25 minutes)||(Reaches 15 psi in 30 minutes)|
|Medical Sterilizer||Yes: All-American models 1915X and 1930X||Yes: All-American model 1941X||No|
|Drinking Water Pasteruizer||No||No||Yes: 210 GPH (800 L/hr) output|
|1. Based on the equivalent of ½ of the maximum pot volume filled water (10, 30, and 50 liters, respectively, for the 20-, 60-, and 100-liter stove models).
Some meals contain more water and require more time than indicated to cook a full pot (i.e. soup), and others contain less water and cook faster (i.e. rice).
|2. Average efficiency from startup to boil of ½ pot, based on the standard ISO/IWA WBT test. Peak efficiency once stove has warmed up is
higher than indicated.
|3. With aluminum pot. Stainless steel pot adds 5 lb. (2.3 kg)|